Friday, February 5, 2010

Tuesday Cook-Fest

Tuesday I was on babysitting duty for my grandson and he, as he always does, kept me both entertained and busy chasing him with fun and interesting activities to keep him entertained. In the afternoon we went to the grocery store and did our weekly shop. I also had some work come in that needed my immediate attention (ackk..not on babysitting day!). David and I whipped up Shrimp Chile Relleno (a lot of work for the ending product). With the leftovers I made a mock chile relleno with rice by chopping up the chilies, left over cheese (pepper jack and cheddar), shrimp and mixing it with some leftover rice in the fridge. I baked this for 30 minutes and David took it in his lunch. He said it was good.

Next time I decided I am going to try making the chili relleno with canned aneheim chilies (i did it the hard way blistering off fresh chili skins this time). I think I can take these and chop them with the cheeses and shrimp and make a crustless quiche. I think it will taste as good but with way less work.

Since I have brought up the quiche and Jen asked for it a couple weeks ago..here is the recipe.

Quiche Lorraine:

Make pie crust pastry (I used it the first time but I do not think it is necessary and calories could be cut here).

8 slices of bacon
1 cup of shredded cheese
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped vegetbles (I used some onion and very finely chopped frozen carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and beets)
4 eggs
2 cups of 2% milk (you can go up or down in fat with the milk. Higher fat milk is creamier, skim can make the quiche a little watery). 2% seems to work great.
1/2 t salt
a few grinds of pepper

if using the pastry roll it out and place it into the pie plate. Sprinkle the cheese, bacon, onion, and vegetables into the bottom of the pie plate. Beat the eggs, milk and spices. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese and vegetables. Put your pie into the oven at 425 degree F. for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 300 for about 30 minutes. check to see if the quiche is done by poking it with a knife. if it comes out clean the pie is done.

If you try this tell me what ingredients you use. I will try them out. I think the variations could be endless.

1 comment:

THE DASH! said...

Hey girl,
Just checking to say hi - make sure you haven't forgotten me! lol. Hope you had a good week (like the recipe.. unlikely I'll get a chance to cook it but have printed and filed it away for later.)
Have a good weekend.
Cara x