Sunday, January 13, 2013

What a Great Weekend.

Have you told you how much I love where I live?  We have great neighbors, Great services, and a great location.


Friday night was Chardon-knitting at the store.  Basically I serve wine, people come and bring their knitting.  We make a little craft usually seasonally themed.  I serve wine and we work on whatever our projects are.  There were supposed to be 6 ladies but 3 came down with some flu bug or something so it was just 3 plus me.  We had a great time talking and knitting.  when Chardon-knitting was over David and I went to our local pub and had a drink and late dinner.  We visited with our neighbors who were also there.  All good fun.
                                       
This is a shot into the mirror behind the bar.  This seems to be David's favorite photo shot as he always takes it when we are at the bar and posts it on his facebook page.  Someday there will be a record of how much of a pair of lush's we were because of his recording each drink on facebook.  I am in the middle, David is on the left and our neighbor is on the right.

Saturday I took David out for his Christmas present.  I bough him tickets to a one man play about James Beard the food critic.  it was rather good. I had never been to a one man play before and they did a good job of revealing James' personality, did a wonderful job breaking the play up so it wasn't just one long speech or something.  we were also served an onion sandwich..it was apparently an appetizer that he once used to serve when he started catering parties in New York when he was young. white bread cut into circles with a wine glass, home-made mayo covering both pieces of bread.  Thinly sliced onion (I would suggest Vidalia, Walla Walla sweets or a nice mellow red onion would be best for this).  He then rolled the little sandwiches in more mayo and then fresh chopped parsley so they look like prety green edged wheels.  The little sandwiches tasted really good.

After the play we went to a neighbors house.  This summer Grace made friends with a couple of girls visiting for a month.  They were friends of our neighbors and as one does when the kids are friends we socialized with the parents.  The parents are two wonderful guys.  The family had such a good time in the summer they have decided to move up..the family are in the process of selling their house and then moving up.  One of the two is planning on getting a lapband too!  Anyhow..they were up for the weekend and we got to see them again. the kids got to play again. They are a great family and will bring the greatness that is where we live to a whole new level of fun :)

I had a decent day at the store and got a lot accomplished but not in a stressful kind of way.  David spend most of the day cleaning upstairs (oh yes he is in my good books for sure!!).  After I closed I worked some more and got even more stuff done (sometimes there is paperwork and yarn winding that needs to be done and never enough time to do it.  We then went back down to the neighbors for a final chat before the kids leave tomorrow.  The to the bar for a quick drink and then back to pick up the kids.  A bit of a chill in my relaxing family room chair and now it is time for bed.

Tomorrow, Monday. is my kinda sorta day off.  I take Grace to school, then home until late afternoon when I take her to Horseback riding and I go onto teach my math class.

Life is rather good. :)

3 comments:

Stephanie M. said...

I just saw Ruth Reichl post about those onion sandwiches a few days ago and was intrigued! http://www.ruthreichl.com/2013/01/james-beards-onion-ring-sandwiches-.html

Have you read any Ruth Reichl? If not, I HIGHLY recommend her. She's absolutely wonderful in her writing style. Garlic & Sapphires was my favorite. I read it in one day while on vacation in Georgia. So good.

Your knit night sounds super fun. I haven't picked up my needles in over a year and need to get back to it.

Theresa said...

It all sounds great! Good for you!

Tina said...

Thanks for the recommend Stephanie-I will have to go check her out.