Friday, November 30, 2007

The dog was missing

On Wednesday I went in for my second Psych evaluation meeting. I found out that my doctor is a psychologist (as per her business card). I was instructed to take an evaluative test for weighloss surgery patients. It was a really bad test as far as I could see. One of those true/false things created by the evil test companies who also own the text book companies written with the express purpose to make as much money as possible-arghghgh. I did it though-went through each of the 100 or so statements dutifully with the number 2 pencil marking false false false false false-i think there were maybe 5 statements that I could even remotely mark as true. It was really a test to see if I was certifiably crazy, had huge eating disorders etc. Not subtle at all. I took it in about 10 minutes while the psych left the room (she said she would be gone for 20 min to make phone calls but really she ran down to the local coffee shop for a quick cup of jo-came back with it in her hand). I spent the rest of 20 minutes reading my book (Karen Armstrong..hmm up the spiral staircase i think??) It was really a good read! Anyway back to the topic.

the psych asked me if i wanted to say anything more-I didn't. She tried to call the drs. office to find out exactly what they wanted her to do. She got a receptionist on the phone and asked the following questions: We are done what do you want me to do with this information and what format would you like it to have? The receptionist could not comprehend the questions. When the psych asked to speak to her superior the receptionist freaked out, put us on hold for a very long time and the psych finally hung up the phone. It was both surreal and typical of my experience with the practice of medicine in the big city. Once a medical practice gets too popular the attitude shifts from one of welcome and patient centeredness to one of filtering. The staff around the doctor or doctors become more and more a shield and the patient gets little information until they are allowed through the shield to the inner sanctum. I feel that I am basically a well educated, proactive person but there are times when i am ready to say screw it I dont have time for all of this testing, reintroductions phone calls, demanding answers crap. The problem with this attitude is that I really want to get the band! and hope with all of my fibre that it works and that I can work it. sigh....

Well after my psych gave up I called them back and played a little phone tag until I got hold of the person in charge of scheduling (I think this is her job anyway). She curtly answered my questions (I just asked the same ones as the pscyh-what does she need to send to you). This person said a letter stating your suitability for the surgery. I answered that is all? she does not need to include some sort of psychological work up? Then the person said oh yes that too. I said and what form is this supposed to take? Do you have a desired format? She said no just a letter. arghghghhggh So I called my psych back leaving her a message that said. They want a letter stating my suitability for the surgery and to then write a report that looks like a pcyhological evaluation. I told her in the message that I did not get a clear answer as to format but that the best strategy in my mind was to wing it!!!

arghhhhhh So after all of this testing crap I find they dont really know what they are looking for?

So now I wait. Im not sure what I'm supposed to do. Will they call me? should I call them? the clock ticks. I would really really like ot have the surgery before Christmas but Im not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Bunny said...

Hi Tina, all that testing sounds like hard going. But its a means to an end. You stick with it honey, and it will happen. If I were you, I would badger them night and day until they all know your name so well that they get you in that operating theatre to rest their ears! Thats what I would do. Those who shout loudest and all that.
Keep posting as its really interesting and exciting to go through it 'with you'.
all the best
Bunny
xx